A Psyche the size of the Earth
I’m delighted to be offering an intensive three-night workshop in the beautiful Burren, Co Clare, Ireland.
The workshop begins late afternoon, Monday March 30, and ends with lunch, Thursday April 2.
Please note: this event is timed to take place just before my HedgeWise festival, which runs from Thursday 2nd April to Sunday 5th April. More details about Hedgewise can be found here.
The old myths, stories and philosophies of the West offer up a world in which everything is not only alive, but has purpose, intentionality of its own. Over the centuries, this old knowledge has been deliberately overwritten. And so we’ve forgotten how to listen to the song the mountain sings. We’ve forgotten how to listen to the voice of the ancestor who comes to show us how to take up the shimmering mythlines of the past, and weave them into the tapestry of the present. We’ve fallen out of myth.
In this unique workshop, we’ll learn once again how to fully participate in what depth psychologist James Hillman called ‘a psyche the size of Earth’. We’ll go out and listen to the land’s dreaming, and in the process, we’ll find ourselves getting dreamt. We’ll deepen our relationship with the soul of this world – the anima mundi – in order to uncover and explore not only our own unique mythopoetic identity, but the unique gift, or ‘calling’ – the hidden treasure – which each one of us brings to this world. Through personal myth, fairy-tale narratives and imagery, journeying, dreamwork and land-based practices, we’ll find our own unique bridge to the imaginal world: the mundus imaginalis of ancient tradition; the richly mythic and archetypal Otherworld of the Gaelic tradition to which I belong..
The work we’ll do is rooted in mythology and archetypal psychology – but above all, it’s rooted in authentic relationship with this beautiful animate Earth, and a deeply grounded participation in the land where our feet are planted.
This workshop is open to both men and women.
‘A Psyche the Size of Earth’ will take place at the Boghill Centre, near the small spa town of Lisdoonvarna in the heart of the Burren, Co Clare. The Burren is a unique karst landscape which incorporates a vast cracked pavement of glacial-era limestone. It’s home to countless cliffs and caves, fossils, rock formations and archaeological sites, and a remarkable variety of plants and animals. On the Atlantic coast, the precipitous world-famous Cliffs of Moher are home to thousands of seabirds. The area is also a heartland of traditional Irish music.
The nearest airport is Shannon, which is about two hours away by bus (to Lisdoonvarna), or a faster journey (around 45 mins) by car.
Visit the Boghill Centre website for more information about the venue and its location.
Now I know why people worship,
carry around magic emblems,
wake up talking dreams
they teach to their children;
the world speaks.
The world speaks everything to us.
It is our only friend.
WILLIAM STAFFORD, ‘EARTH DWELLER’
How to Book
Bookings for the workshop have two components:
(1) a workshop fee of €465, which must be paid by all attendees, and which includes lunch on Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday and dinner on Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday;
(2) if accommodation is required, an extra fee based on bed and breakfast either in a simple hostel room with shared bathroom facilities (€75 for three nights in bunk beds; rooms normally hold 3–6 people but depending on numbers we will try to spread attendees out as much as possible!), or camping (€45 for three nights). Bedlinen is provided; if towels are required they’re available at a small charge. If you are camping you will need to bring everything you need with you including your tent; access to indoor shower and toilet facilities is included in the price.
If you would like to organise your own accommodation, bed and breakfast/hotel accommodation is available in the nearby town of Lisdoonvarna (around 2-3 km away). If this is your plan, then please just purchase a workshop-only ticket.
If you don’t have your own transport, the nearest B&Bs are Cannville Guesthouse, Ballytigue, Lisdoonvarna – about an 8-minute walk away – 00353(0)65-7075785 (ring or search and book online) and Elements – about 1.5 miles away – a 25-minute walk – 00353(0)65 7075849 or 00353(0)876778423; [email protected].
Pay for this workshop online via PayPal
WORKSHOP ONLY: €465
HOSTEL ROOM: €540
CAMPING PER PERSON: €510
IF YOU ARE PLANNING TO ATTEND HEDGEWISE AS WELL AS A PSYCHE THE SIZE OF EARTH, AND WOULD LIKE TO REDUCE YOUR UPFRONT COSTS BY PAYING IN FOUR INSTALMENTS, PLEASE USE THE BUTTONS BELOW.
Pay for both events online via PayPal, in four monthly instalments
EVENTS ONLY: €930 in four monthly instalments of €232.50 each
HOSTEL ROOM: €1080 in four monthly instalments of €270 each
CAMPING PER PERSON: €1020 in four monthly instalments of €255 each
IMPORTANT: PLEASE READ THIS INFORMATION CAREFULLY!
1. If you are paying by PayPal and have a PayPal account, please make sure that the email address associated with your account is correct, to ensure that your acknowledgement email (which will act as your ticket) is sent to the right place. If you would like to have your acknowledgement email sent to a different email address, or if you would like to purchase a ticket as a gift for someone else, please email us (sharon[at]materiamythica[dot]ie) with the details as soon as you’ve made your PayPal payment.
2. Once you’ve made your payment you will receive a PayPal receipt for your payment. We always then acknowledge all sign-ups individually by email. If you do not hear from us within three working days of signing up please check your junk mail folder before contacting us again
3. No refunds will be offered on the workshop portion of your ticket (€300), though food and accommodation refunds will be possible until January 12, 2020.
Please note that we do not have the resources to offer travel advice. The Boghill Centre website offers more detailed location information.
If you have any queries about the event, please contact us rather than the Boghill Centre: you can email Ruthie Hayes at sharonblackiemythmakings[at]gmail[dot]com
A VAT receipt can be provided on request.
JOIN MY LIST
Subscribe to my newsletter and be among the first to hear all the latest news about my books, courses and events. You’ll receive free tips and reflections on cultivating the mythic imagination, and giveaways that are exclusively for subscribers. And a special gift as a thank you for joining us!