A Psyche the size of the Earth
WITH MANY APOLOGIES, RESTRICTIONS IMPOSED BY MANY WORLD GOVERNMENTS, INCLUDING THE USA AND IRELAND, AND THE DECLARATION OF A PANDEMIC BY THE WHO, MEANS THAT BECAUSE OF THESE EVENTS BEYOND OUR CONTROL, WE HAVE BEEN FORCED TO CANCEL THIS WORKSHOP.
I’m delighted to be offering an intensive three-night workshop in the beautiful Burren, Co Clare, Ireland.
The workshop begins late afternoon, Monday March 30, and ends with a light early lunch, Thursday April 2.
Please note: this event is timed to take place just before my HedgeWise festival, which runs from Thursday 2nd April to Sunday 5th April. More details about Hedgewise can be found here.
The old myths, stories and philosophies of the West offer up a world in which everything is not only alive, but has purpose, intentionality of its own. Over the centuries, this old knowledge has been deliberately overwritten. And so we’ve forgotten how to listen to the song the mountain sings. We’ve forgotten how to listen to the voice of the ancestor who comes to show us how to take up the shimmering mythlines of the past, and weave them into the tapestry of the present. We’ve fallen out of myth.
In this unique workshop, we’ll learn once again how to fully participate in what depth psychologist James Hillman called ‘a psyche the size of Earth’. We’ll go out and listen to the land’s dreaming, and in the process, we’ll find ourselves getting dreamt. We’ll deepen our relationship with the soul of this world – the anima mundi – in order to uncover and explore not only our own unique mythopoetic identity, but the unique gift, or ‘calling’ – the hidden treasure – which each one of us brings to this world. Through personal myth, fairy-tale narratives and imagery, journeying, dreamwork and land-based practices, we’ll find our own unique bridge to the imaginal world: the mundus imaginalis of ancient tradition; the richly mythic and archetypal Otherworld of the Gaelic tradition to which I belong..
The work we’ll do is rooted in mythology and archetypal psychology – but above all, it’s rooted in authentic relationship with this beautiful animate Earth, and a deeply grounded participation in the land where our feet are planted.
This workshop is open to both men and women.
‘A Psyche the Size of Earth’ will take place at the Boghill Centre, near the small spa town of Lisdoonvarna in the heart of the Burren, Co Clare. The Burren is a unique karst landscape which incorporates a vast cracked pavement of glacial-era limestone. It’s home to countless cliffs and caves, fossils, rock formations and archaeological sites, and a remarkable variety of plants and animals. On the Atlantic coast, the precipitous world-famous Cliffs of Moher are home to thousands of seabirds. The area is also a heartland of traditional Irish music.
The nearest airport is Shannon, which is about two hours away by bus (to Lisdoonvarna), or a faster journey (around 45 mins) by car.
Visit the Boghill Centre website for more information about the venue and its location.
Now I know why people worship,
carry around magic emblems,
wake up talking dreams
they teach to their children;
the world speaks.
The world speaks everything to us.
It is our only friend.
WILLIAM STAFFORD, ‘EARTH DWELLER’
How to Book
Bookings for the workshop have two components:
(1) a workshop fee of €465, which must be paid by all attendees, and which includes lunch on Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday and dinner on Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday;
(2) if accommodation is required, an extra fee based on bed and breakfast either in a simple hostel room with shared bathroom facilities (€75 for three nights in bunk beds; rooms normally hold 3–6 people but depending on numbers we will try to spread attendees out as much as possible!), or camping (€45 for three nights). Bedlinen is provided; if towels are required they’re available at a small charge. If you are camping you will need to bring everything you need with you including your tent; access to indoor shower and toilet facilities is included in the price.
WITH MANY APOLOGIES, RESTRICTIONS IMPOSED BY MANY WORLD GOVERNMENTS, INCLUDING THE USA AND IRELAND, AND THE DECLARATION OF A PANDEMIC BY THE WHO, MEANS THAT BECAUSE OF THESE EVENTS BEYOND OUR CONTROL, WE HAVE BEEN FORCED TO CANCEL THIS EVENT.
Fees for this workshop have two components:
(1) a workshop fee of €465, which must be paid by all attendees, and which includes lunch and dinner. Of this workshop fee, €165 is collected on behalf of Boghill.
(2) if accommodation is required, an extra fee is payable based on bed and breakfast either in a simple hostel room with shared bathroom facilities (€75 for three nights in bunk beds; rooms hold 3–6 people), or camping (€45 for three nights). Bedlinen is provided; if towels are required they’re available at a small extra charge. If you are camping you will need to bring everything required with you including your tent; access to indoor shower and toilet facilities is included. Again, we collect accommodation fees from you on behalf of Boghill; your accommodation contract is with them.
If you would like to organise your own accommodation, bed and breakfast/hotel accommodation is available in the nearby town of Lisdoonvarna (around 2-3 km away). If this is your plan, then please purchase an event-only ticket. If you don’t have your own transport, the nearest B&Bs are Cannville Guesthouse, Ballytigue, Lisdoonvarna – about an 8-minute walk away – 00353(0)65-7075785 (ring or search and book online) and Elements – about 1.5 miles away – a 25-minute walk – 00353(0)65 7075849 or 00353(0)876778423; [email protected].
IMPORTANT: PLEASE READ THIS INFORMATION CAREFULLY!
1. If you are paying by PayPal and have a PayPal account, please make sure that the email address associated with your account is correct, to ensure that your acknowledgement email (which will act as your ticket) is sent to the right place. If you would like to have your acknowledgement email sent to a different email address, or if you would like to purchase a ticket as a gift for someone else, please email us (sharon[at]materiamythica[dot]ie) with the details as soon as you’ve made your PayPal payment.
2. Once you’ve made your payment you will receive a PayPal receipt for your payment. We always then acknowledge all sign-ups individually by email. If you do not hear from us within three working days of signing up please check your junk mail folder before contacting us again
3. Terms & conditions of booking: please note that tickets are not transferable. No refunds will be offered on the workshop portion of your ticket (€300), though food and accommodation refunds will be possible until December 31 2019. If the workshop cannot take place due to events outwith our control (eg due to extreme weather or other global events) then refunds will not be possible. With apologies, we cannot make exceptions to these rules, so please take out travel insurance if you are concerned that you might not be able to make it for any reason.
Please note that we do not have the resources to offer travel advice. The Boghill Centre website offers more detailed location information.
If you have any queries about the event, please contact us rather than the Boghill Centre: you can email Ruthie Hayes at sharonblackiemythmakings[at]gmail[dot]com
JOIN MY LIST
Subscribe to my newsletter and be among the first to hear all the latest news about my books, courses and events. You’ll receive free tips and reflections on cultivating the mythic imagination, and giveaways that are exclusively for subscribers. And a special gift as a thank you for joining us!